Monday, June 16, 2008

a Rice Crispy Rising

Mmmmmm! Yummmy
There's nothing like waking up and checking the cupboards and spotting something so uncanny staring back at you with it's little purple face and box-eyes. I grab it out of there and chuckled, it was quite the hunt. I am not sure whether in the elder days I would be considered a hunter or gatherer or hunter/gatherer for that matter because yes I gathered in this scenario, and yes I hunted (like a bandit's mother-in-law in disguise).

O yes, now the good part! I poured it's luscious crispy crisps into a bowl and said "There ya go, partner!" Now I'm sitting here writing this with a cocky grin on my face full of "Snap, Crackle, and POP!" No, I'm not even mad! Well and it's not exactly morning either, I just call it that because, my goal on mondays is to just completely relax and rejuvinate my body and soul. I get done with work late Sunday night after having worked four 12-hour shifts like a jolly-Ferguson, I need to just sleep, so that's my mondays. And when it's around early evening, then I go to this awesome worship time with friends in their basement and we play music for hours.

Last night when I headed over to Walmart I had a fascinating idea which I wanted to turn into a reality! You know those electric scooters that are next to the welcome-greeter at the entrance? The ones for really old people who can't waddle too well, but they can scoot with excellance and then catch up to their grandchildren. Well, that was my idea. I wanted to ride one. And just my luck! The greeter must've gone off to break so there were three beautiful electric wheelchairs ready for me to ride away into the sunset with (if only I had an eighty-year old girlfriend to--no scratch that, that would just be weird). So I got on and at first felt like an R-tard. There's all these night-stockers giving me looks of who-knows-what and I clutched my knee cap in an effort to look injured. I moseyed down to the icecream isle because I was really feeling icecream, like someone would after their intense breakup. I grabbed some icecream and loaded it into my front cart while being eyed down by an old lady who had no sympathy for my situation.

I zipped accross the store in search for some sandals, which I found. They're great! Then I wanted to get some christmas lights for something I was making and well, I asked one of the ladies for help. She gave me a strange look as I asked her where the christmas lights were, then she led me to an isle that might have had them while quickly realizing that I was in a wheel chair and I could not keep up with her fast-paced walking, so she would stop every 1o feet for me to catch up with her. Meanwhile I felt so stupid, I'm like why am I in this thing, this is awkward. But then she was really nice. She was like "I'm so sorry honey, we seem to be all out of christmas lights." I guess it's the whole I'm-handicap thing that makes people treat you completely different.

I pull up to the check out aisle aboard the scooter and a lady didn't see me b/c i was so low and my head barely bobbed above the conveyor belt counter. She emphatically asked how I was doing and how was my shopping experience. How was my life going? How was my weekend? I couldn't believe how important I suddenly was just because I was sitting in an electric scooter apparently handicap and not like all the other kids. She even placed the bags into my cart with care and smiled and the funny thing is, she talked LOUDER AND MORE ANNUNCIATED BECAUSE APPARENTLY I'M ALSO HARD OF HEARING TOO! That almost made me burst out laughing. I pulled the scooter back to it's parking spot, got out next to the greeter lady who said "have a good day." She eyed me warily thinking oh sure, he's a fraud. I was glad to get out of that thing and once out of the electric doors I ran straight for my car breathing in that fresh air of freedom!

2 comments:

John Habibi said...

You have done what I have always wanted to do.
You have the courage where I don't,
that is why I must read your blog!!!
haha.
seriously, how awesome is it that something as stupid as a blog can share feelings and experiences all over the place.
I love it!

ellie said...

HAHAHAHAA!

and the word verification for this comment is DOFTTYAP