Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's really good idea to jump off cliffs, but is it really a good idea to throw turtles around? I think not, especially the snapping ones because they look like a prehistoric menace that shrank and is mad because it had no purpose in life. What is their purpose, I've been wondering. We found the big guy in a pool next to the spot where we were jumping off cliffs into. I was nervous because I thought he'd show up again when I'd be frantically swimming back to the cliff to climb back up. Fortunately, no one else saw his sorry face anymore this afternoon.

I had a really good week this last week counseling a cabin of rambunctious junior high boys. They were a handful but a lot of fun. Two were hyper-active, one of which had anger problems and I'm pretty sure was a hypochondriac who would dream up every possible form of ailment and claim he needed to be hospitalized for it. First there was the Tuesday evening y nose bath in our cabin while I was trying to lead devotions. Then there was the extreme sunburn which turned into an issue of massive proportions! He got over it and really surprised me by the end part of the week when he was the first kid to get up at the campfire and tell what God had been doing in his life this week. It blew me away because it was at that moment that I decided that there would be no need to throw him into the lake that night. He was searching and God was meeting him here.

The first few meals at my table involved spilled milk and lots of sloppy slop campers! I decided to institute a friendly who-could-have-the-cleanest-place setting competition and...it worked. I gave out t-shirt prizes (It was easier than stopping by the Good Will drop box plus they love my old llbc camp tees) and I think I gave away some false teeth too. I had my friend come over and inspect very meticulously each place setting at the end of every meal and they were in to it!

One of my campers prayed and asked Jesus to come into his heart which was really cool. That's what I was really excited about happening this week and it's what I had been praying would happen for a long time. I guess God really does answer prayer, and he proves it every day here. Nice! One night, we grabbed all our mattresses and went to the middle of the ball field, under a blanket of stars and slept there. Charlie prayed that it wouldn't rain for the night and it didn't--until 6:30 am. But what a GREAT wake up call!

Today I ate the biggest cinnamon roll known to man. It was twice the size of my head and roughly two football fields in length and tasted really sweet. Matt the Musician had to help me eat it all because between that and my life-size-of-a-Volkswagen BLT sandwich, it just wasn't easy.

No comments: